Acupuncture for Fertility and Pregnancy
According to statistics about one in seven couples in the UK have difficulty conceiving naturally.
Acupuncture can not only support both females and males who are going through IVF treatment but also couples who are trying to conceive naturally.
I have special interest in fertility and pregnancy. I am offering treatments that can support:
- Male and Female Infertility
- IVF treatment
- Turning breech babies
- Labour Induction
- Ante-natal and Post-natal Pregnancy care
- Irregular periods
- Lack of periods
- Painful periods
- No sings of ovulation
- Threatened miscarriage
Acupuncture may benefit in the treatment of infertility
- Increasing blood flow to the reproductive organs (Ho 2009, Anderson 2007), which can improve the thickness of the endometrial lining, so increasing the chances of embryo implantation.
- promoting embryo implantation (Liu 2008).
- Increasing egg production (Jin 2009) and improving oocyte quality (Chen 2009), which could increase the chance of fertilisation.
- enhancing luteal function (Huang 2009) and regulating follicle stimulation hormone-receptor expression (Jin 2009).
- regulating fertility hormones – stress and other factors can disrupt the function of the hypothalamic pituitary-ovarian axis (HPOA). Acupuncture promotes the release of beta-endorphin in the brain, which regulates gonadatrophin releasing hormone from the hypothalamus, follicle stimulating hormone from the pituitary gland, and oestrogen and progesterone levels from the ovary (Anderson 2007).
- normalising cortisol and prolactin levels on IVF medication days (Magarelli 2008); reducing stress (Anderson 2007)
Acupuncture for pregnancy
Acupuncture can also support females during pregnancy and help with range of pregnancy-related conditions including:
- Morning Sickness
- Symphysis Pubic Dysfunction
Acupuncture for Pre Birth Preparation
I offer this set of treatments during the late stages of pregnancy, starting from 36 weeks. These treatments will help the woman to prepare for safe labour.
Acupuncture and Natural Induction
Acupuncture is a safe and effective way to help the body in its natural process of labour for post-term babies. Patients should attend labour induction treatment from 40 weeks for medical reasons or before medical induction.
Here are some great articles and videos that you may find useful: