Acupuncture for Adenomyosis
What is Adenomyosis?
Adenomyosis is type of abnormal growth in your uterine wall, until recently was mistaken for fibroids. Adenomyosis growths are not muscle like they are with fibroids, but they are bits of uterine lining that have grown into the uterine muscle.
Symptoms of Adenomyosis:
- Abdominal distention
- Pelvic pain
- Very heavy periods
- Best diagnosis is by pelvic ultrasound or MRI.
Western treatment for Adenomyosis:
- Oral contraceptive
- Mirena IUD- hormonal IUD will reduce blood flow by 90%, which can be very helpful.
- Myomectomy, uterine artery embolisation but due to high risk of complication patient may need hysterectomy.
Diet and Lifestyle change for Adenomyosis:
- Avoid cow’s dairy as dairy makes periods heavier and can worsen underlying inflammation.
- Avoid gluten as it can worse the immune dysfunction that is part of adenomyosis.
- Reduce alcohol intake, as alcohol reduces liver’s ability to detoxify oestrogen.
You may consider taking some supplements like:
- Turmeric due its anti-inflammatory properties, lightens periods and reduces oestrogen.
- Zinc as it can reduce pain and inflammation.
- Natural progesterone as will make periods lighter.
- Cinnamon and holden combination is traditional Chinese herbal medicine, regular use has been shown to prevent fibroids growth so it may help with Adenomyosis too.
Can Acupuncture help with Adenomyosis and how?
Acupuncture has been known to help with painful periods and regulating heavy flow during a period, it works well with treating Endometriosis as well as Adenomyosis.
Contact me for more information.