Reflexology treatment involves applying pressure to the body
This type of treatment it is believed to bring relaxation and healing to the corresponding area of the body. The theory behind reflexology is that areas of the foot correspond to organs and systems of the body. The relationship between the various spots on your body and reflexology is very similar to the principles behind acupressure and acupuncture. This isn’t necessarily a form of massage therapy, a reflexologist does use their hands in order to apply the proper amount of pressure to the right points.
Reflexology can help on both the physical as well as the emotional level.
Here are some of the benefits of reflexology
- Relieves the effects of stress.
- Improves mood
- Helps with Anxiety and Depression
- Improves and supports the immune system.
- Clears the body of toxins
- Improves Sleep
- Helps with Migraines
- Relieves pain
- Improves Digestion
- Eliminates waste from the body
- Promotes relaxation
- Assists the body to heal any current disorders
- Boosts circulation
- Smoothing and reducing menopausal symptoms such as hot flushes, night sweats and achy joints
Reflexology can also be used to treat you during different stages of your menstrual cycle to encourage your body to regain its natural rhythm and flow.
Reflexology can be extremely helpful in alleviating stress and improving various hormonal imbalances:
- Improves the effects of PCOS and Endometriosis
- Improves cycle regularity
- Reduces PMS and PMT symptoms (see Research)
- Aiding natural conception and fertility
- Helps support IVF, IUI, medicated fertility cycles
- Can alleviate many of the discomforts of Pregnancy due to hormonal disruptions
- Reducing pre and post pregnancy anxieties
This therapy has roots in ancient Chinese medicine, believing in qi (vital energy)
The ancient Chinese belief is that qi freely flows through every person. If the person is stressed or is out of balance, this can lead to a problem. Reflexology works to ensure that the qi adequately flows through the body, which is what will keep the body disease free and balanced.
This is a natural approach that can be highly effective in easing a variety of different symptoms. A reputable reflexologist knows exactly which pressure points they can use that will benefit the patient in the best way possible. If you have struggled to find relief using solely the medical treatments, you need to find other solutions that can work in tandem of these great treatments. Using reflexology as part of a treatment plan can significantly improve your life.
- Any contagious skin disease ie. impetigo, scabies, chicken pox, mumps etc.
- Severe psoriasis or eczema on foot (foot will be too sore to work)
- Any untreated severe medical condition, or acute pain (Reflexology may hide a condition which needs medical attention)
- Internal bleeding
- Severe varicose veins i.e. phlebitis (Reflexology may increase pressure of blood to veins)
- Any form of infection, disease or fever (can make client feel worse and spread infection to the therapist)
- Diarrhoea and vomiting – cross infection
- Bruising on feet – would be uncomfortable
- Cuts, grazes, open skin, rashes, bites, burns, fractures
- Athletes foot or verrucae’s due to cross infection
- Localised swelling/inflammation
- Scar tissue (2 years for major operation, and 6 months small scar)
- Recent fractures (minimum 3 months)
- Cervical spondylitis