According to the office of national statistics, 29% of UK adults experience sleep problems. Modern research indicates that acupuncture can affect the brain to reduce the effects of stress and anxiety, a common cause of Insomnia.
Signs of Insomnia:
- Difficulty getting of to sleep
- Difficulty staying asleep
- Frequent waking up at night
- Dream disturbed sleep
How does acupuncture help with insomnia?
Acupuncture is believed to stimulate the nervous system releasing neurochemical messenger molecules promoting physical and emotional well being.
Stimulation of certain acupuncture points has been shown to affect areas of the brain that are known to reduce sensitivity to pain and stress, as well as promoting relaxation and deactivating the ‘analytical’ brain, which is responsible for insomnia and anxiety.
There is good evidence to show that acupuncture treatment can help with insomnia. There is no simple explanation for how it works, but the list below gives a few ideas:
- Increasing nocturnal melatonin secretion
- Reducing sympathetic (stress related) nervous system activity
- Regulating the brain’s mood chemistry to help to increase relaxation
Acupuncture can be safely combined with conventional medical treatments for insomnia.